[DCRM-L] Area 4 comments

Sat Sep 30 11:26:37 MDT 2006

Thanks, Windy. Replies below.

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.
Chair, RBMS Bibliographic Standards Committee
http://www.folger.edu/bsc/index.html
Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare Library
201 East Capitol St., S.E., Washington, D.C. 20003
djleslie at folger.edu || 202.675-0369 || http://www.folger.edu

	-----Original Message-----
	From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu
[mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Windy Lundy
	Sent: 12 September 2006 12:44
	To: 'DCRM Revision Group List'
	Subject: RE: [DCRM-L] Area 4 comments

	I have only a few comments in addition to the ones noted below:

	P. 77, 4B9.  last sentence re: "and date is fictitious"  This
sentence
	occurs in two other places in Area 4 (4C5 and 4D2.4).  In both
places, the
	sentence ends with "and date is fictitious or incorrect, apply
4A4."  For
	consistency, should 4B9 also read "and date is fictitious or
incorrect"?[DJL]  Fixed.

	P. 79, 4C2, next to last line:  suggest a comma preceding
"unless the
	information"[DJL]  Added

	P. 80, 4C4.1.  "If only the address, sign, or initials of the
publisher
	appears":  I stumbled over the number of "appears" because
"initials" is
	plural.  Fowler says (1998 ed., p. 555 in entry under "or")
"When the
	subject is a set of alternatives each in the singular ... the
verb must be
	in the singular ... If alternative members differ in number, the
nearest
	prevails."  I have not consulted another authority on usage that
addresses
	this issue.  [DJL] Chicago appears not to address this situation
directly (cf. 5.123), although 5.41 uses the same principle as in Fowler
for determining a pronoun's number. I accept the change.

	P. 85, 4D2.4.  Last sentence in 1st paragraph:  Is there a
reason for the
	enclosing parentheses?  The sentence occurs also in 4B9 and 4C5
and in
	neither case it is in parentheses. [DJL] Deleted parentheses.

	P. 86-87, 4D2.6.  The editorial comment for the last example
occurs on the
better on the
	same page and not split.[DJL]  We'll see what we can do.

	Hope these are helpful,[DJL]  Sure are!

	Windy

	****************
	M. Winslow Lundy
	Assistant Professor
	Head of Monographic Cataloging
	Cataloging & Metadata Services Department
	University of Colorado at Boulder Libraries
	184 UCB
	Boulder, CO 80309
	phone: 303-492-3918
	fax: 303-492-0494