[DCRM-L] 752 indexing

Ryan Hildebrand hildebrj at uci.edu
Fri Aug 3 11:47:44 MDT 2007

Hello list,

A question for those of you using field 752 in catalog records for
rare/special material--how is this field indexed at your institution?

At my institution 752s are indexed as subjects, but I and others are
wondering if this is the best choice. Our concern is that they generate
noise in browse displays for genuine subject searches on geographic
locations (this is not an issue in the bib record as the display
constant "Place of publication" is generated). The most viable other
index is perhaps that of author, but the noise potential is perhaps equal.

In the notes from the last MARC for Special Collections meeting (thanks,
Sarah!) I see "Some institution systems allow the 752 field to be
indexed separately; this was viewed as quite helpful." I would love to
hear more about this, especially re: cost and in particular from those
working with Innovative.

Ryan

--
Ryan Hildebrand, Special Collections and Archives Cataloger
UCI Libraries, P.O. Box 19557