[DCRM-L] questions about use of 541 field

Manon Theroux manon.theroux at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 11:42:10 MDT 2007

Hi, all--

When using the 541 field in a bib record for a printed book:

1) What would be the proper way to designate the specific copy/volume to
which the note applies? Could the $3 be used for this?

2) Can the subfields be given in any order? The MARC documentation seems to
indicate this is acceptable but I thought I'd ask anyway!

http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/ecbdnot2.html#mrcb541

As a hypothetical example:

541 ## $3 Special Collections [call #]: $c Gift of $a George
Smith-Pelecanos, $d 1972.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!

Manon

--
Manon Theroux
Head, Cataloging & Metadata Services