[DCRM-L] Language qualifier for translations into the modern form of a language

Robert Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Thu Oct 25 18:24:32 MDT 2007

LCRI 25.5C says “when naming a language in a uniform title, base the name on the form found in the current edition of the MARC code list”, and the name for modern English there is “English.”

Looking in the authority file, the practice for modernized versions is to use the name of the modern language without qualifier. Some examples I found:

Hugues Capet (Chanson de geste). French
Chrétien, de Troyes, 12th cent. Chevalier au lyon. French
Chrétien, de Troyes, 12th cent. Chevalier de la charrette. French
Gawain and the Grene Knight. English
Beowulf. English

LCRI 25.5C says to use a form like “French (Old French)” for earlier forms of modern languages. There isn’t a similar instruction for a qualified form for modernized versions (except for Greek).

So I’d say that you’re right:

100 1   Langland, William, $d 1330?-1400?
240 10 Piers Plowman. $l English

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
Special Collections and Ancient Languages Catalog Librarian
Genre/Form Authorities Librarian
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602