[DCRM-L] Citing ESTC

Noble, Richard Richard_Noble at brown.edu
Thu Sep 6 10:40:30 MDT 2007

It may be late to jump in on this, but I'm not sure I see any gain in
adding "(on-line)", especially without a date. I used to enter e.g.
"ESTC (RLIN 2004)", which might serve to explain a subsequent
discrepancy (i.e. to make clear that it wasn't a cataloger error); but
what's the point of adding plain "on-line"? We know the database is
dynamic, that a citation may become obsolete, and that this will have
happened regardless of the version of the database consulted for the
particular citation.

Or is it understood that "ESTC (CD-ROM)" and "ESTC (microfiche ...)"
will continue to be used as a caveat--a warning that "this citation may
obsolete on arrival"? In which case "on-line" is a sort of positive
negative, meaning "Really, folks, my 510 was based on the most
up-to-date version of the database (though it's up to you to guess when
I looked it up)."

On the other hand, without the intervening parens, it's possible to do
reasonably easy citation searches via keyword phrase, "estc <ID
number>". It would almost be worth going through all my records to clear
out the undergrowth, to make that possible.

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOKS CATALOGER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN
UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-2093 :
RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU