[DCRM-L] DCRM(B) cataloging in OCLC

Sarah Fisher sarah.fisher at yale.edu
Wed Sep 12 14:27:41 MDT 2007

I'll just chime in as someone who was formerly at an institution that
was not an enhance library, as such you can upgrade both K and M
records. Just fyi, for those who aren't enhance libraries.

My two cents,
Sarah F.

At 04:15 PM 9/12/2007, you wrote:
>I agree with Jain and Randal.  I believe we do not need any more
>duplicate records in OCLC, but enhancing records is a great help to us all.
>
>Elizabeth J.
>
>Quoting Randal Brandt <rbrandt at library.berkeley.edu>:
>
>>I agree with Jain (and others who have responded in the time it has
>>taken me to draft this message). Do not create a new record if you
>>are sure that the existing OCLC record is for the same item. OCLC has
>>too many unnecessary duplicates as it is.
>>
>>This also brings up another very good point, and one that I made
>>during the MARC for Special Collections meeting at ALA, which is that
>>rare books catalogers should strive to attain enhance capabilities in
>>OCLC. If the existing record in OCLC is a low-level record (i.e.
>>coded K in ELvl) or has come from a batchload (L or M in ELvl), you
>>can probably lock and replace the master record, even if you don't
>>have enhance status. But, lots of sub-standard records exist at full
>>level in OCLC and it would be a great benefit to the rest of the rare
>>books community if the work to upgrade them could be saved for the
>>rest of us. Of course, another answer is institutional records, but
>>it is still unclear how many libraries will be allowed to create
>>institutional records (at this point, only former RLG libraries) and
>>which libraries will be able to utilize them.
>>
>>Here is a list of the institutions that have enhance status:
>>http://www.oclc.org/worldcat/quality/enhance/default.htm (Univ. of
>>Missouri-Columbia is on the list!)
>>

>>Randal Brandt
>>Principal Cataloger
>>The Bancroft Library
>>University of California, Berkeley
>>rbrandt at library.berkeley.edu

Sarah S. Fisher
Head, Printed Acquisitions
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
Yale University
P.O. Box 208240
New Haven, CT 06520-8240
email: sarah.fisher at yale.edu