[DCRM-L] From Dan Rettberg, HUC Library, Cincinnati

Fri Jan 25 12:59:50 MST 2008

Hebrew then must use the first letter of the alphabet to signify 1, the
second to signify 2, and so forth, if you can't tell whether it's a
numeric or alphabetic sequence. So, use the rules for recording them as
a numeric sequence.

From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On
Behalf Of Rettberg, Dan
Sent: Friday, 25 January, 2008 15:00
To: DCRM Revision Group List
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] From Dan Rettberg, HUC Library, Cincinnati

Thanks, Deborah, for your reply. I don't mean to cause confusion at this
late hour, the book being already published, but either my memory is
fuzzy or perhaps I didn't make myself clear enough. So far as I am
aware, apart from context, there is no way to distinguish between
alphabetic and numeric sequences of Hebrew/Aramaic characters. I checked
with one of my Israeli colleagues here at HUC, and she agrees. In the
case of signature markings added in both Hebrew characters and Arabic
numerals, I assume one could say that that is sufficient context to
determine that a numeric sequence is meant, but with those sequences
displaying signature markings only in Hebrew characters, I would say all
bets are off.

Dan Rettberg

Rare Book and Manuscript Bibliographer

Klau Library

Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion

Cincinnati, Ohio

drettberg at huc.edu