[DCRM-L] "Double" punctuation query

Mon Dec 7 09:44:46 MST 2009

At the Folger, it is our policy to normalize punctuation, whether we're doing original cataloging or using copy with original punctuation, for the same reasons that such is the normative DCRM(B) practice. Our situation is complicated, however, by the thousands of ESTC records loaded directly into Hamnet, which do use original punctuation, along with indifferent use of isbd punctuation, and no use whatsoever of 245 / ‡c

About the particular transcription question, Ron Bogdan (our Mr. Language Person continental cataloger) and I agree that a new element should start with the word "post." What's at question is whether it should be a ‡b or a ‡c, but some mark of isbd punctuation should go there. (Since it could go either way, our general approach is to choose one and not agonize, so we didn't bother to try to resolve the question of which element.) We're not sure what else removing original punctuation would entail or why it might lead to a misconstrual of the t.p.

__________________________
Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.
RBMS Chair 2009-2010 | Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare Library
201 East Capitol St., S.E. | Washington, D.C. 20003 | 202.675-0369
djleslie at folger.edu | http://www.folger.edu <http://www.folger.edu/>

-----Original Message-----
From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Laurence Creider
Sent: Thursday, 03 December, 2009 18:04
To: DCRM Revision Group List
Subject: [DCRM-L] "Double" punctuation query

Folks,

For those of you who do not make use of the provision in DCRM(B) and its

predecessors to record the original punctuation of the title page (DCRM(B)

0G3.1 alternative rule), how do you handle cataloging copy which does

record the original punctuation?  Do you eliminate all but the prescribed

punctuation or do you leave the copy as is?

What would you do if the result of eliminating the original punctuation

might lead to a different construal of the t.p.

This is what is on the Desc a record:

24514 [He Kaine Diatheke ].= ?b Novum Testamentum. Post priores Steph.

Curcelli, tum & DD. Oxoniensium labores; quibus parallela Scripturae loca

nec non variantes lectiones ex plus c. mss. codd. & antiquis versionibus

collectae, exhibentur; accedit tantus locor. parall. numerus, quantum

nulla adhuc, ac ne vix quidem ipsa profert praestantiss. Editio Milliana;

variantes praeterea ex ms Vindobonensi; ac tandem crisis perpetua, qua

singulas variantes earumque valorem aut originem ad XLIII. canones

examinat G.D.T.M.D. cum ejusdem prolegomenis, & notis in fine adjectis.

250 Editio altera priori auctior atque emendatior.

If I were doing this from scratch and not using copy, I would probably

insert a / $c before Post.

Thanks,

Larry

Laurence S. Creider