[DCRM-L] [alctsleaders] Final e-forum of 2009: OpenDoors to Hidden Collections

Dooley,Jackie dooleyj at oclc.org
Tue Dec 8 15:44:57 MST 2009

Elizabeth Johnson told the RBMS list the other day about this ALCTS e-forum
that's going on today and tomorrow. A heads up that it's really very
interesting, and special collections/archives issues are very much present
(along with gov docs, journal articles, metadata for digital stuff, etc.)
and well worth the time of folks in our sector--catalogers in particular!

Today's posts presumably are already archived somewhere on the ALCTS site,
though I didn't look into that.

Jackie

--
Jackie Dooley
Consulting Archivist

How
>> do you provide access to hidden collections? What are the roles, if
any,
>> of the traditional Technical Services and/or Collection Development
>> departments in providing access to these hidden collections? Do new
>> workflows or adjustments in staffing have to be made to accommodate
the
>> work?
>>
>> Join the discussion. Help answer these question and pose others. We
have
>> the opportunity to reshape what a library is and does. Don't be
passive.
>> Become an active voice in creating change. Help us shape the future.
>>
>> Moderated by:
>> JoAnne Deeken is Head of Technical Services and Digital Access at the
>> University of Tennessee Libraries. She has been a librarian in
Technical
>> Services for 25 years and has worked at 5 different university
libraries
>> across the country. Most of her publications deal with the
organization
>> of technical services. She is an active member of ALCTS, having
served
>> on several committees and discussion (now interest) groups.
>>
>> Millie Jackson is Associate Dean for Collections at The University of
>> Alabama. Previously she was Head of Collections at Florida State
>> University and held several positions in the library at Grand Valley
>> State University in Allendale, MI. She has published and presented on
>> workflow and electronic resources. She is currently the chair of
ALCTS
>> CMDS Administration of Collection Development.
>>
>> *What is an e-forum?*
>>
>> An ALCTS e-forum provides an opportunity for librarians to discuss
>> matters of interest, led by a moderator, through the e-forum
discussion
>> list. The e-forum discussion list works like an email listserv:
register