[DCRM-L] Possibe 1816 ed. of Amelia Simmons?

Oksana K. Linda olinda at umich.edu
Thu Jul 9 16:17:08 MDT 2009

Hello:

I'm cataloging what I thought was a 2nd copy of Amelia Simmons's "American
cookery, or, The art of dressing viands, fish, poultry, and vegetables ..."
Copy [1]: has t.p. with imprint: Walpole, N.H. : Printed for Elijah Brooks,
1812. (Lowenstein, E. Amer. cookery (3rd ed.), 60).
Copy [2]: Same as copy [1], plus has added t.p. with imprint: "For sale at
the Bookstore of Pomroy & Hodge, Windsor, Vt." Copy [2] has advertisement
for Pomroy & Hodge at end, dated February 1816. (Lowenstein, E. Amer.
cookery (3rd ed.), 73). No date on added t.p.

Personally I would create one record for 1812 ed. and add notes for
bookseller's added t.p. and advertisement. Our culinary curator is telling
me that it's incorrect and I need to create 2 separate records for 1812 and
[1816] eds., because Lowenstein's bibliography lists two items as two
separate editions.

Could anyone please clarify the issue for me.
Record for items in question:
<http://mirlyn.lib.umich.edu/F/1CYRX1VKQQHHIHTU8IN9U65MTIRSFA7CH2LP2423TB6Y4HUKEB-41921?func=full-set-set&set_number=019158&set_entry=000004&format=001>

Thank you very much in advance,
Oksana.