[DCRM-L] prospectuses

Sat Sep 12 17:30:27 MDT 2009

Thanks, Bob; I'd come to the conclusion that 6xx was the better place
for it, and will mull over whether a 7xx work added entry is also called
for.

From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On
Behalf Of Robert Maxwell
Sent: Saturday, 12 September, 2009 19:18
To: DCRM Revision Group List
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] prospectuses

I give a uniform title in a 600 (or 630) when cataloging a prospectus at
the item level, since the prospectus is about the book. That is the
subject of what you are cataloging, so I think a subject tracing should
be made. However, a 7XX tracing is also appropriate, since the work
embodied in the book described in the prospectus is clearly a "related
work" to the prospectus (which itself is a work, the one you happen to
be cataloging).

So my practice is to put it in 6XX and that is where I would expect to
find it if I were looking in the catalog for prospectuses about a book.
So I would recommend that as at a minimum. It would not be wrong, in
addition, to have a 7XX related work entry.

Note: in most cases at BYU, however, we catalog prospectuses on a
collection-level record for ephemera from the press producing the book,
so we don't usually create item-level records for prospectuses. But when
we do my practice has been as described.

Here are some examples of our collection-level records:

http://catalog.lib.byu.edu/uhtbin/ckey-search/3966269 (Foolscap Press)

http://catalog.lib.byu.edu/uhtbin/ckey-search/3965780 (Incline Press)

For very large collections we make separate records by year

http://catalog.lib.byu.edu/uhtbin/ckey-search/3966251 (Arion Press,
2008)

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell

Special Collections and Ancient Languages Catalog Librarian

Genre/Form Authorities Librarian

6728 Harold B. Lee Library

Brigham Young University

Provo, UT 84602