[DCRM-L] BSR/Rare Books

Stephen A Skuce skuce at MIT.EDU
Tue Apr 27 15:13:42 MDT 2010

My take on this is that there's a rule missing from DCRM(B), and its absence really hits those of us working with 19th- and 20th-century publications.

4A6.2.2 states in part,
"if the manufacturer is known not to be the publisher … and the identity of the publisher can be determined or reasonably surmised … supply the name of the publisher … in square brackets and transcribe the manufacturer statement as such according to the instructions in 4E, 4F, and 4G."

What we need is a rule 4A6.2.3: for when the manufacturer is "known not to be the publisher," but the identity of the publisher CANNOT be determined.

For me there's a disconnect here: If we can "reasonably surmise" the identity of an unnamed publisher, then the name of some insignificant jobber whose name appears in tiny type in the colophon of a 1910 publication is relegated to parentheses at the end of the publisher area.  Sounds good to me; that's precisely what the $ efg and the parentheses are for.

But if, for the next title in our cataloging backlog, we cannot guess who the publisher was, then that very same jobber -- essentially, an Edwardian era Kinko's -- is suddenly elevated to the status of publisher. To put it another way: we "know" the manufacturer is not the publisher. But we transcribe it as the publisher anyway?

The information in 4A6 does a very good job of noting the sometimes subtle, sometimes nonexistent distinction between publisher and printer in the hand-press period. For the machine-press period it's also very clear, except that there it's saying something else: that the difference between publisher and printer became distinct and meaningful, and mere printers "came to be subordinate." So why should we, in effect, pay attention to 4A6 only part of the time?

The problem hits us when we catalog modern publications, where a manufacturer is a manufacturer … except when he isn't because we ran out of rules.

Deborah is right that there is no provision at all for [S.l. : s.n., date] (place : publisher, date) in DCRM(B). I wish there were an explicit provision.  The question now is whether we can apply a more generous reading of the rules that are there. Does the want of a rule imply that a practice is forbidden? (I really am asking a question; I don't think it does, but I don't know in this case.)

Stephen

From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Deborah J. Leslie
Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 4:14 PM
To: Barrett, Marcia; DCRM Revision Group List; BIBCObox at loc.gov
Cc: Joe Springer; jxa16 at psulias.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] BSR/Rare Books

Thanks for your careful consideration of these issues, Marcia.

Please note that none of the rules relating to any of the areas are to be restricted to hand-press or machine-press only, and area 4 encompasses the largest set of augmentations in order to explicitly include machine-press books. (Except for area 6, which didn't exist in DCRB).

The rules in question are 4A6.2.1-2. Since you are talking about situations where there are statements relating only to manufacture, that statement is to be transcribed in the place, name, and date of publishing, distribution, etc. The only exception to that is for the kind of situation you're invoking below, for when there is a manufacture statement only, but the manufacturer is known not to be the publisher. If the publisher is known or can be reasonably surmised, supply that information in the place, name, and date of publishing, etc., and put the manufacture in the place, name, and date of manufacture.

I see no provision at all for [Sl. : s.n., date] ‡e (<place> : ‡f <manufacturer>, <date>).

Would some of the other B editors and those involved in the revision of DCRB please give your readings of this situation vis-à-vis  the rules?