[DCRM-L] BYU's 1st RDA/DCRMB record

bethwhittaker at ku.edu bethwhittaker at ku.edu
Fri Aug 27 11:18:27 MDT 2010

Deborah is too kind. I did not misunderstand. Rather, I took the opportunity to jump up on my tiny soapbox and rant a little. And I'm going to do it again!

Of course we have researchers who need those kinds of details. They also need better wireless in our reading rooms, more support for teaching with original resources, and, if you're somewhere other than the Folger, they also need a way to find examples of lesbian vampire fiction in languages other than English. Or photographs of African American military from the Korean War wearing civilian clothes.
I don't have a dog in this fight, thank goodness. I remain conflicted about RDA while managing at the same time to keep myself ignorant of its development. I just worry that we are losing sight of the forest for the trees.

Rant over! I'll now leave the discussion to people who still catalog rare materials for a living.

Beth M. Whittaker
Head, Spencer Research Library
University of Kansas
785-864-4275

Sent from my mobile, so please forgive my typing.