[DCRM-L] Progressive description Re: BYU's 1st RDA/DCRMB record

James P. Ascher james.p.ascher at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 11:40:02 MDT 2010

This conversation has cut to the core of--what seems to me to be--the
central problem of modern librarianship. We our faced with
increasingly tenuous budgets, a broader range of materials, changing
patrons, an aging workforce, and administrators who may be as deeply
concerned with the future of rare books as us, but who face millions
of eBook records. We are a very loud, very talented, very important,
minority.

Yet, high quality research still goes into descriptions of the
physical artifacts held by our institutions and we all want to share
that research. If a cataloger (curator, reference librarian, etc.)
finds a hidden edition or identifies a previously unknown printer- I
want that information in my library's catalog. My public service
colleagues want that information for their reference requests. My
administrators want it for risk management. My patrons want it to help
speed their research. My friends at other libraries want it for their
work, and so on. Naively, one could say that we could maintain an
accurate inventory of items and create, say, blogs (or whatever next
decade's technology is) sharing this information with the world, but
the problem here becomes one of the logistics of cooperation. As
anyone on this list might know, taking variously formatted and
structured sources and trying to combine them into something sensible
is a *hard* problem. Does cooperative cataloging ring a bell?

In my humble opinion, the question we should be worrying about is not
"How do we preserve the richness of our base description?" but "How do
we build cooperative structures to allow the experts among us to
continue to enhance our documented history?" I'd rather see an
inexpert librarian making a sketchy description, that doesn't pretend
to be something it isn't, than that same librarian trying to catalog
something with words they don't understand. Yet, for this to be a
viable approach, we need some way for these sketchy (or even full PCC)
records to be enhanced by the people who DO know what they are doing.

This problem seems to me to be one of education--to build a broad
awareness of bibliography and ilk--and re-imagining workflows--so we
can reward those who enhance bibliographic descriptions from which we
all benefit. We need experts in bindings, collation, typography, pin-
marks, paper, press-figures, etc. to continue to enhance our
understanding of the past and we need to let them focus on the work
they are good at. It's from a slightly different context, but I think
of "From each according to his ability, to each according to his need."

How can we re-imagine ways that we can all benefit from the
distributed network of experts that work in our rare book collections?
How can we allow are descriptions to be progressively enhanced as more
research enriches our understanding of the past?

Best,
-James P. Ascher

James P. Ascher
Assistant Professor and Rare Book Cataloger
Univ. of Colorado at Boulder Libraries, 184 UCB
1720 Pleasant Street, Boulder, CO 80309-0184
Voice: (303) 492-6104   Fax: (303) 492-0494