[DCRM-L] Non-LC classification

Mike Garabedian m.garabedian at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 10:36:47 MST 2010

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the posts in this thread resonate with several of
the issues that have characterized discussions about the reformation of
library cataloging rules in recent years, many of which start from the
premise that it's been a long time since the catalog could be regarded as a
mere library inventory, and since headings were the only points of access
available to users.  Seasoned researchers certainly know the LC call numbers
associated with their disciplines, and I don't know for sure, but I suspect
that call numbers are routinely used as access points (and/or as Jen points
out, to browse within a catalog).  So I wonder, along with Ryan, if you
envision retaining LC numbers even as you impose a new classification
schema.

Yours,
Mike G.