[DCRM-L] printing variations

Noble, Richard Richard_Noble at brown.edu
Tue Mar 2 14:06:44 MST 2010

This is a singularly bad restriction, by the way. Relegating such key
bibliographical information to a note essentially conceals it, most
importantly in the briefer displays that appear in results lists. Absent
a distinguishing element "higher" than the 5XX level, we end up with
concealed editions that are concealed also from the eye of the catalog
user.

In previous discussions there seemed to be discomfort with this strategy
because catalogers might not agree on the exact terminology to use,
absent an edition statement. That seems like a classic case of a dog
being wagged by the tail.

That said, or barked, there are elements of Charles's book that can be
shovelled into the 260 field, there to wave their little flags. (I note
that the Google Books repro of the Auburn 'Derby and Miller' edition has
a stereotyper's statement on the t.p. verso. These things are mighty
slippery...)

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOKS CATALOGER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN
UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-2093 :
RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU