[DCRM-L] Australian cities in field 752

Wed Dec 7 14:14:01 MST 2011

Well, the ignorance on parade is mine, it seems. It's how I train catalogers to figure out how to formulate the 752. Notice, however, the careful wording: being guided by the form in the 781 isn't the same as blindly following the form in the 781; I simply specify that for the U.S., U.K., and Canada (and now Australia), the country name goes in 752‡a.

In the early days of the 752, many of us used to enter the British constituent country first. There was a MASC discussion about the practice some years ago--initiated by Henry Raine?--and a common consensus emerged that it's much better to start the 752 with the country. Reference to the 781 in practice is both a convenient way to provide authority for formulating the 752, as well as help in complicated situations.

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S. | Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare Library | 201 East Capitol St., S.E. | Washington, D.C. 20003
djleslie at folger.edu<mailto:djleslie at folger.edu> | 202.675-0369 | http://www.folger.edu<http://www.folger.edu/>

From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Noble, Richard
Sent: Wednesday, 07 December 2011 10:14
To: DCRM Revision Group List
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] Australian cities in field 752

Ignorance on parade: Where is the instruction "to be guided by the form in the 781"?

The problem is, of course, that the 781 form will be constrained by the limitation to two z subfields in indirect subdivision, which is certainly not in the exuberantly expansive spirit of the 752 field as exemplified in the MARC21 examples.

BTW: I've noticed that 781s treat England as first-order, while the BL (being British, and having no patience for English nationalism?) enters e.g. "Great Britain $b England $d London". I suppose the NLS approaches Scotland rather differently--I'll have a look.

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOKS CATALOGER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-3384 : RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU<mailto:RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU>