[DCRM-L] Australian cities in field 752

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Wed Dec 7 08:14:00 MST 2011

Ignorance on parade: Where is the instruction "to be guided by the form in
the 781"?

The problem is, of course, that the 781 form will be constrained by the
limitation to two z subfields in indirect subdivision, which is certainly
not in the exuberantly expansive spirit of the 752 field as exemplified in
the MARC21 examples.

BTW: I've noticed that 781s treat England as first-order, while the BL
(being British, and having no patience for English nationalism?) enters
e.g. "Great Britain $b England $d London". I suppose the NLS approaches
Scotland rather differently--I'll have a look.

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOKS CATALOGER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-3384 : RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU