[DCRM-L] DPC: Letterforms I/J, U/V, i/j, and u/v

Erin Blake EBlake at FOLGER.edu
Sun Jun 5 19:28:30 MDT 2011

As some of you may recall, problems with the current DCRM descriptions of I/J, U/V, i/j, and u/v  were discussed at the RBMS Bibliographic Standards Committee Meeting at Annual 2010, and further discussion here on DCRM-L revealed that the issue was complicated enough that a small group of needed to re-draft the several relevant passages.

Deborah J. Leslie (who researched and wrote the original), Manon Théroux, and I would like to present the attached document for your review. It's anticipated that BSC members will continue the discussion and reach a decision at the meeting in New Orleans.

General observations:
-- clarified that while I and V can respectively become j and u when converting case in pre-modern transcriptions, the reverse is not true: the history of the letterforms means that J and U would never become i and v when converting case)
-- changed “graph” to “letterform” throughout the text (also changed “letter form” to “letterform” throughout, per Webster’s)
--  moved the part about Gothic I and V looking like J and U from the “capitalization and conversion of case” section to the “Letters, diacritics, and symbols” section because transcribing gothic “J” as I and gothic “U” as V relates to “in general, transcribe letters as they appear” and not to conversions of case, and added a made-up example. The prize for finding a real example is getting to be a DCRM editor.
-- added example of “ſ” in a title where “f” and “ſs” also appear (to illustrate the point about converting earlier forms of letters to their modern form) but it’s graphic material, so other modules will need to find an example in the relevant format if they want to keep it (or make do with a graphics example)

 <<IJUV_dpc.pdf>>

Thanks,

   Erin.

Erin C. Blake, Ph.D.  |  Curator of Art & Special Collections  |  Folger Shakespeare Library  |  201 E. Capitol St. SE  |  Washington, DC 20003-1004  |  office tel. (202) 675-0323  |  fax:  (202) 675-0328  |  eblake at folger.edu  |  www.folger.edu