[DCRM-L] Strange signatures from Caen

Robert Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Thu Mar 17 17:25:51 MDT 2011

Hello, all,

I have a pamphlet printed in Caen, France in 1811 that is signed A⁸ B⁴; however there is really only one gathering of twelve leaves. B1 is conjoint with A4; A1 is conjoint with B4. Chain lines are vertical. I don’t find a watermark. The page height is just over 21 cm; I don’t believe it’s been trimmed.

First, is this 12mo? It seems a little big. How do I write the signatures note? “Signatures: A⁸ B⁴” doesn’t seem to explain what is going on.

Thanks,
Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
Head, Special Collections and Formats Catalog Dept.
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602
(801)422-5568