[DCRM-L] DPC: minor wording change to 7A1.1 for clarity

Erin Blake EBlake at FOLGER.edu
Fri May 27 13:15:57 MDT 2011

Thanks, Stephen! Since area 8 comes up pretty much never in the picture
world, I completely forgot about it. I think your second formulation
does the job best:

7A1.1. Notes qualify and amplify the formal description, and are
especially important for recording types of information not accounted
for in other areas of the description.

I think it needs to be "not accounted for" (or  "not covered by")
because "not included in" isn't quite accurate: lengthy titles are
included in Area 1, for instance.

   EB.

From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On
Behalf Of Stephen A Skuce
Sent: Friday, May 27, 2011 1:52 PM
To: DCRM Revision Group List
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] DPC: minor wording change to 7A1.1 for clarity

I agree that this is the way to go.

But is it a good idea actively to exclude area 8 from this wording?  I
know; area 8 is description's poor relation, particularly in special
materials cataloging, but it just seems odd to exclude a specific ISBD
area from the rule. It makes it seem as if there were a positive reason
for doing so.

Including area 8 might require more cumbersome wording, but it seems odd
to exclude it entirely.

The easiest way to include it would be to revert to the "other areas"
wording, and I don't know how terrible that would be. So I guess I
prefer something closer to earlier iterations:

7A1.1. Notes qualify and amplify the formal description, and are
especially important for recording types of information not included in
other areas of the description.

OR

7A1.1. Notes qualify and amplify the formal description, and are
especially important for recording types of information not accounted
for in other areas of the description.

But I can be swayed.

Stephen