[DCRM-L] B3: query for those experienced with books signed with Greek characters

Mon Oct 17 11:33:08 MDT 2011

I'll play with providing both upper- and lower-case Greek characters in the chart(s). However, providing the name of the letter would be superfluous, since the name doesn't matter in romanizing signatures.

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S. | Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare Library | 201 East Capitol St., S.E. | Washington, D.C. 20003
djleslie at folger.edu | 202.675-0369 | http://www.folger.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Carpenter, Jane
Sent: Monday, 17 October 2011 13:22
To: DCRM Revision Group List; rbrandt at library.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] B3: query for those experienced with books signed with Greek characters

I think Randy makes a good point--the DCRMB 7B9.9 example includes uppercase Greek characters.  Signatures in uppercase Greek letters are not all that rare (e.g., Etymologicum magnum (1499), the Giunta Lysis (1551), Theodoret's Dialogi tres contra quasdam haereses (1547)).  I'd like to see a chart with both upper and lower case Greek characters, as well as the Greek name of each letter.

Jane Carpenter
Special Collections Cataloger
UCLA Library Special Collections