[DCRM-L] T.p. verso, unabbreviated

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Fri Nov 30 10:10:02 MST 2012

It's a hard balance to strike. In general, whatever information one might
want to convey about matter on the verso of title leaf (e.g.) would be of
interest only to those who have enough knowledge of books to know what a
leaf is. Then again, "reverse" is much the same thing: a rather Latinate
way of referring to the "turn" of the leaf. Then again again, couldn't
"reverse of the title" be taken to mean "the title, backwards" (*à la* "Paul
is dead" ...)?

Once we start getting too far away from the descriptive vocabulary proper
to the things we're describing we begin to make the description harder to
read for those who know the proper terms (with the underlying thought,
"Does the cataloger know enough to be describing this correctly?"), and
more and more awkwardly and needlessly long and periphrastic for everybody.
(The prime disaster area in this respect, so far, is the 300 field.)

Obiter dicta: For our own purposes, with respect to the general tendency of
RDA (which has its own logic of data distribution, as opposed to
description), I think we RB types would be better off creating
straightforward RDA records with whatever vocabulary is deemed least
esoteric, along with extensive supplemental descriptive notes: exact
transcriptions (*without* transposition, and perhaps without interpolated
element punctuation) of title, edition, imprint and date etc., full
collation formulae with comprehensive pagination statements, using the
standard abbreviations (RBS Des Bib house style), etc. For communication
purposes, transcriptions retain their value, though links to images are a
highly valuable adjunct, as I've learned from working especially with
German databases. We can't, at this rate, go on chopping all this stuff up
and expect it to reassemble itself as coherent description. In sum, we need
data *here*, and bibliographical description *there*.

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOKS CATALOGER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-3384 : RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU