[DCRM-L] "[the]" versus "[th]e" (but definitely not "ye")

Laurence S. Creider lcreider at lib.nmsu.edu
Wed Aug 21 13:00:28 MDT 2013

An additional argument of Jennifer's suggestion is that AMREMM follows the
same procedure, to wit,
"0F8. Expand all suspensions, contractions, nomina sacra, Tironian notes,
symbols and other abbreviations to the full form, enclosing suppolied
letters or words in square brackets. ... Do not reproduce Tironian notae,
the ampersand, or other symbols, but instead supply in square brackets the
letters or words for which they stand in the language of the text."
The examples give transcription of the ampersand as [et] or [and] or (this
would depend on language), and to translate the Tironian note 7 as [et] or
[and] or ....

It would be nice if the same principle was adopted for the post-1600 notes
here.

Larry

P.S. My initial reaction was what would Tironian notes be doing in a 20th
century ms, but Wikipedia says they are occasionally used from the 17th
century into the 20th.  That is one thing I enjoy about this list; I learn
a great deal.

--
Laurence S. Creider
Head, Archives and Special Collections Dept.
lcreider at lib.nmsu.edu