[DCRM-L] "[the]" versus "[th]e" (but definitely not "ye")

Jennifer K. Nelson jnelson at law.berkeley.edu
Wed Aug 21 14:05:30 MDT 2013

Hi Larry, everyone,

Just to clarify: this came up in a general discussion, not specifically
as related to manuscripts. I think our conversation started when we were
looking at Appendix G to DCRM(B), specifically the instruction in G2
where it says to transcribe both the Tironian note and the ampersand as
an ampersand (as well as "[Tironian note]c" as &c.). I think its the
last example in the grid.

Personally, I think it makes much more sense in any case - whether in
printed books or in manuscripts - to transcribe a Tironian note as an
ampersand, when what it stands for is the word [et], not the symbol "&".

Thanks,

Jenny

--
Jennifer K. Nelson