[DCRM-L] Collation conundrum

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Mon Feb 11 09:14:18 MST 2013

Since the structure is what it is, I think your formula is already pretty
clear. I'd only insert 33⁴ before 33*⁴  (and use the asterisk, as a
perfectly standard representation of any sort of star). Beginning with 1 1*
2 2* establishes the periodicity of the repeating pattern; 33 33* at the
end is a sufficiently unambiguous indication that the pattern plays
through. (I'm not sure I'd state a format for either structure in a book of
this period, without pretty clear evidence that the type or plates were
actually printed that way.)

To write the formula as if the book were gathered in 8s would be, of
course, *very* wrong--banish the thought. The formula must describe the
physical structure of the book. If the printer's signatures are adequate
for the purpose, that is a great convenience--but that's all that it is.

You could add "655 7 Re-imposition (Printing) $2 rbpri" to your record for
this one. Even though that is generally used cases for re-imposed type, as
opposed to differently imposed plates, this is an odd case where I think
it's useful either way. Do you have evidence that plates were used? It may
not be possible to tell whether it was printed directly from type, or from
plates, though a minute comparison between the impression in 8s and the one
in 4s might reveal accidents attendant on re-imposition of type, which
would be positive evidence that plates were not used. At any rate, you can
describe the book perfectly well without deciding either way.

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOKS CATALOGER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-3384 : RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU