[DCRM-L] Future publication of DCRMs

Alison Bridger aebridger at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 27 14:03:46 MST 2013

While I admit some disappointment in not having a print version of DCRM(MSS) (purely Ego) I do know it is very important to make our manual as readily available as possible. Since DCRM(MSS) is to serve as a companion standard to DACS, covering areas that DACS does not, it needs to be available to a wider and many times a different audience then some of the other modules (this is of course true of many of the modules). The hope is the module will be helpful to both Librarians who need to catalog the occasional manuscript and to Archivists who need to describe a unique item in their collections in not just a MARC universe but EAD and other metadata standards as well.

Also many archival institutions are staffed by the "lone arranger" where money is even harder to come by and may not have access to Catalogers Desktop. I also know of one medium sized institution years ago that canceled CD when they pulled APPM before DACS was approved by the Society of American Archivists (SAA) and for all I know they have not renewed their subscription. [Sidenote: DACS, which is currently out-of-print is now available for free as a pdf; unsure if the 2013 edition will be available free as well, but since it is a publication of SAA they have more leeway.]

I along with many others put countless unpaid hours and travel expenses (some covered by employers, some not) into writing rules for the different DCRM modules and I would hate to see all that hard work be hidden away not helping as many catalogers (and archivists) do their work helping patrons find what they are looking for. Having rules makes it easier to know how to describe that item you may have never come across before, to make the work of many workers (or even the one) be more consistent.

And besides I was hoping to pick out a color for our cover ...

Alison Bridger

Alison E. Bridger
Cataloging
Archivist