[DCRM-L] Press figures in an incunable??

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Thu Jan 10 08:44:25 MST 2013

I've just added DCRM(B) Examples to my Cataloger's Desktop preferences, and
in Example 1 see that there's a 655 for "Press figures". That represents a
significant bibliographical discovery, to say the least, since press
figures were used only by British printers from the late C17 into the third
decade of the C19 (plus a couple of late C18 Philadelphia printers).

Sorry to bring this up--I probably didn't take advantage of an opportunity
to review. I know that the examples are more an illustration of the
treatment of information, rather than the nature of the information
treated, but this is odd.

What *are* these press figures? There's nothing in the 5XX notes that
refers to them.

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOKS CATALOGER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-3384 : RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU