[DCRM-L] FW: Cataloger's Desktop 2013 Issue 4 available

Erin Blake EBlake at FOLGER.edu
Wed Nov 13 10:46:49 MST 2013

Happy to pass along the good news that DCRM(G) is now available in Cataloger's Desktop!

Still in progress: updating the RDA BSR so that "Rare Materials" includes graphic materials as well as book.

Erin.

Erin C. Blake, Ph.D.  |  Interim Head of Collection Information Services and Cataloging; Curator of Art & Special Collections  |  Folger Shakespeare Library  |  201 E. Capitol St. SE  |  Washington, DC 20003-1004  |  office tel. +1 (202) 675-0323  |  fax: +1 (202) 675-0328  |  eblake at folger.edu<mailto:eblake at folger.edu>  |  www.folger.edu<http://www.folger.edu/> |  collation.folger.edu<http://collation.folger.edu/>

From: Johnson, Bruce [mailto:bjoh at loc.gov]
Sent: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 7:37 AM
To: DESKTOP at LISTSERV.LOC.GOV
Cc: Erin Blake; James, Kate; Cahill, Colleen
Subject: Cataloger's Desktop 2013 Issue 4 available

Colleagues:

I am pleased to report that 2013 Issue 4 of Cataloger's Desktop is now available.  This issue includes the following new and revised resources:

New:

*         Classification and Shelflisting Manual: 2013 Edition

*         DCRM(G): Descriptive Cataloging of Rare Materials (Graphic Materials)

Updated:

*         DCM: Descriptive Cataloging Manual: 2013 Update 4, November 2013

*         FRAD: Functional Requirements for Authority Data: A Conceptual Model (IFLA):    2013 Revision

*         MARC 21 Format for Authority Data: Update 17, September 2013

*         MARC 21 Format for Bibliographic Data:  Update 17, September 2013

*         MARC 21 Format for Holdings Data: Update 17, September 2013

*         RDA: Resource Description and Access:    November 2013 Update

*         Subject Headings Manual: Update 2, July 2013

A new feature has also been incorporated into the service.  As you know, it is possible to insert your bookmarks and personal notes into Cataloger's Desktop. We received a recommendation that when personal notes include web addresses (URLs), the web address should automatically become a hotlink so that the subscriber can click it and go to the referenced website. This feature has been implemented with this issue.

While working on this enhancement we made an additional adjustment for bookmarks and personal notes that not anchored to specific spots in documents but go instead to the tops of their respective document. Up until now these bookmarks and notes were invisible once made.  We have added an area between the toolbar and the document pane where the bookmark icon will display.

As always we appreciate your suggestions for improving our service to you. Please let us know if there is something we can do to make Cataloger's Desktop more effective.  Thank you for your continued support.

Bruce

Bruce Chr. Johnson
The Library of Congress
Policy & Standards Division