[DCRM-L] Questions raised by (OCoLC)3692007

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Fri Aug 29 14:24:06 MDT 2014

To be responded to only if you're feeling ruminative?--

The record below raises a few dcrmb/rda questions that I can only discuss
with similarly obsessed colleagues, none of whom happens to work in the
same place I do.

Evans is essentially treated as a corporate body, as if he were Robert H.
Evans (Firm), and in that case one could(?) use the designator "issuing
body". The combination of publisher and purpose of the publication is of
course analogous to standard practice with Sotheby's et al., but has been
forced in this case by the override of the imprint. The result is
inferential, and the place, possibly (which actually relates to Bulmer) and
certainly the publisher ought to have been bracketed, with Bulmer in $f.

I could simply designate Evans as "auctioneer", of course. The real
question has to do with excluding the "printed imprint" from its proper
area in order to name Evans as publisher (Bulmer ought, of course, to have
been entered in $f, if it's really necessary to have Evans in $b). Would
one also do this with 264? That is, a 264 b1 for Evans (brackets, I should
think) and 264 b3 for Bulmer? What a mess that makes if we start overriding
such imprints in pre-1820 books, perhaps routinely entering 264 b1
[publisher not identified] and 264 b3 whenever the imprint names or seems
to name only a the printer. I hope that the qualifications expressed in
DCRM(B) 4A6 n13 will continue in force.

Does the title page transcription need transposition to place the date etc.
of the auction in 260 $b (it's not really analogous to the example in
DCRM(B) 1D2.1)? Thirty-one years at this game, and I am still baffled by
the disconnects between cataloging and bibliography ... Another instance
where we need one set of fields for information derived from titles, etc.
and another for actual direct transcription; or is transcription soon to
made obsolete in favor of visual reproduction?

m 005   20140829010435.0
y 008   780321s1812    enk      bc   000 0 eng
g 010   13026866
g 035   (OCoLC)3692007
m 040
DLC|beng|cYUS|dDLC|dOCLCQ|dOCLCG|dOCLCA|dEUM|dGBVCP|dOCLCA|dOCLCQ|dOCLCO|dOCLCF
m 043   e-uk-en
m 049   RBNN
m 050 0 0 Z997|b.R887
a 100 1  Evans, R. H.|q(Robert Harding),|d1777-1857
t 245 1 2 A catalogue of the library of the late John, Duke of Roxburghe
/|carranged by G. and W. Nicol ... ; which will be sold by auction ... 18th
May, 1812, and the forty-one following days, Sundays excepted ... by Robert
H. Evans
p 260   London :|bRobert H. Evans,|c1812
r 300   xxiv, 284 (i.e. 283) pages ;|c22 cm
r 336   text|btxt|2rdacontent
r 337   unmediated|bn|2rdamedia
r 338   volume|bnc|2rdacarrier
n 500   Imprint on t.p. reads: Printed by W. Bulmer and Co., Cleveland Row,
St. James
b 700 1  Roxburghe, John Ker,|cDuke of,|d1740-1804
b 700 1  Nicol, G.|q(George),|d1740?-1828
b 700 1  Nicol, William

BROWN UNIVERSITY  ::  PROVIDENCE, R.I. 02912  ::  401-863-1187
<Richard_Noble at Br <RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU>own.edu>