[DCRM-L] OCLC cataloging question

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Thu Jun 5 14:38:09 MDT 2014

I certainly agree with John Lancaster that there doesn't seem to be a real
difference of issue here--unless the title leaf is a cancel. Are you able
to determine whether the title leaf (and last leaf) are integral in both of
your copies? The signatures note in OCLC 5165516 is a simple A-Y^8.

Have you compared signature positions vis-a-vis last line of type as a test
of setting? If it consistently passes that test then you are dealing copies
of the same edition. If the title leaf is integral in both variants, then
you're simply dealing with press variants within the formes that contain
those pages.

BROWN UNIVERSITY  ::  PROVIDENCE, R.I. 02912  ::  401-863-1187
<Richard_Noble at Br <RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU>own.edu>