[DCRM-L] 007 field for rare materials

Dooley,Jackie dooleyj at oclc.org
Mon Mar 3 11:12:52 MST 2014

If the 007 were to be required in all records, it would need to have some useful values. For archival materials (aka "mixed), the only one that gets used much at all is the value for microforms.

But Erin, couldn't your argument be made for a great many fields that are optional?

I appreciate having this issue brought to the DCRM community's attention I noticed some things in the material-specific BSRs that I question. One example: 08 (archival control byte) isn't required for mixed materials and is eligible for use with any record type. Becky, I'll be in touch later today.

Best to all, Jackie