[DCRM-L] Production Statement Proposal

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Fri May 30 13:39:28 MDT 2014

The virtue of simple, unsubdivided transcription elements came rather
sharply into focus as I was agonizing about minor points of transcription,
and cursing the clumsiness of "transposed" notes, in cataloging a print
rather more elegantly treated here (the two records are very similar):

http://digital.library.mcgill.ca/oslerprints/search-results.php?field0=creator&term0=Kennerly,%20J
.,%20engraver

The combination of specific elements for retrieval and basic
identification, together with the single element transcription in the
"Notes" as a kind of fingerprint, looks so easy by comparison--easier to
create and easier to understand. Of course there's an image here too, and
perhaps one day that will be so universally available in all contexts as to
render transcription unnecessary; then again, it might still be useful to
have a low-bandwidth, high legibility (and, one could hope, expertly
interpreted) version of the information. This instance has, granted, more
to do with 245 than 264, but the problems are much the same in both.

(Strictly BTW, the Osler cataloger is right about the medium, stipple
engraving; some (e.g. V&A)  have incorrectly called it a mezzotint.)

BROWN UNIVERSITY  ::  PROVIDENCE, R.I. 02912  ::  401-863-1187
<Richard_Noble at Br <RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU>own.edu>