[DCRM-L] Question concerning the description of art prints in DCRM(G)

Erin Blake EBlake at FOLGER.edu
Fri Aug 7 11:46:57 MDT 2015

This is a great example of "edition" in the bibliographic sense and "edition" in the printmaking sense partially coinciding. Rest assured that no matter what you decide, the cataloging police won't come after you: describing fine art prints in a system devised for modern books is never going to be straightforward. As long as you include all the relevant information somewhere, you're good to go.

Here's how I'd look at it:

Because the two editions (in the printmaking sense of 'print run') have different transcribed dates, they belong in different bibliographic records. (Prints in the edition of 15 have "83" on them; prints in the edition of 6 do not, so you conjectured [1983?] for a date -- this isn't a change to the matrix, but it is a change that affects the body of the description; don't forget the mandatory note on the source of the conjectured date).

Because there is no difference in the matrix, you wouldn't use the MARC 250: the prints are in the same "state" in the printmaking sense, and that's how DCRM(G) has defined use of Area 2.  Instead, you would use a combination of general notes and local notes to explain the differences:
500 __ $a Édition tirée à 6 exemplaires.
595 __ $a Exemplaire de conservation numéroté: 3/6

(Book people unfamiliar with the picture-world's usage of the terms edition, state, impression, and copy might be interested in a Folger blog post I wrote a while back: http://collation.folger.edu/2013/04/two-disciplines-separated-by-a-common-language/ )

-- Erin.

________

Erin C. Blake, Ph.D.  |  Head of Collection Information Services  |  Folger Shakespeare Library  |  201 E. Capitol St. SE, Washington, DC, 20003  |  eblake at folger.edu<mailto:eblake at folger.edu>  |  office tel. +1 202-675-0323<tel:%2B1%20202-675-0323>  |  fax +1 202-675-0328<tel:%2B1%20202-675-0328>  |  www.folger.edu<http://www.folger.edu/>