[DCRM-L] 510 citations

Kathie Coblentz kathiecoblentz at nypl.org
Mon Aug 10 13:01:15 MDT 2015

I second this heartfelt plea. If only because the format prescribed by
Standard Citation Forms does not include the date of publication for the
cited resource, and that is information that is often not irrelevant in
notes that "justify or provide other types of information."

I don't think "proposing a new indicator that would generate a different
label" for 510 is a way out, either. As others have pointed out, labels are
often system-specific and disregard indicators entirely.

On the other hand, I would appreciate a standardized format, with preferred
punctuation conventions, for citations of non-bibliographical sources in
general notes.
Kathie Coblentz, Rare Materials Cataloger
Special Collections/Special Formats Processing
The New York Public Library, Stephen A. Schwarzman Building
5th Avenue and 42nd Street, Room 313
New York, NY  10018
kathiecoblentz at nypl.org

My opinions, not NYPL's