[DCRM-L] Paint Over Print conference (Sent on behalf of the organizers)

Fri Jan 16 11:02:33 MST 2015

Not specifically about cataloging, but almost certainly has implications for description. I'm planning to go. ~DJL

Paint over Print:
Hand-Colored Books and Maps
of the Early Modern Period

Chet Van Duzer and Larry Tise, the organizers, would like to invite you to "Paint over Print: Hand-Colored Books and Maps of the Early Modern Period," a conference to be held February 19 and 20, 2015, at the Kislak Center at the University of Pennsylvania.

The goal of the conference is to bring together scholars and experienced authorities who have looked at several different aspects of hand-colored books and printed maps from the fifteenth to the seventeenth centuries. Subjects to be addressed include the materials and techniques used in hand-coloring, the connoisseurship of hand-coloring, and how color alters the meaning of a printed work--how the addition of color represents an interpretation or reinterpretation of the work. We believe that the subject is one of strong intellectual interest that has not received the critical scholarly attention it deserves. We hope for a fruitful exchange of insights and ideas, and an event that will attract a wide audience including art historians, historians of the book, historians of cartography, special collections librarians, dealers in rare books and maps, and collectors.

The conference program is available at:

http://www.library.upenn.edu/exhibits/lectures/paint_schedule.html

and the online registration form (registration is free) at:

http://www.library.upenn.edu/forms/eventsresponse11.html

We hope that you are able to attend what promises to be an interesting and productive conference.

Chet Van Duzer

Deborah J. Leslie | Folger Shakespeare Library | djleslie at folger.edu | 202.675-0369 | 201 East Capitol St., SE, Washington, DC 20003 | www. folger.edu