[DCRM-L] Help with a signature statement

LeMay, Jason T. jason.lemay at emory.edu
Wed Jan 21 08:45:17 MST 2015

Good morning,

I have a signature statement in which the final gathering's signature is completely new to me. The publication is a dissertation printed in Uppsala, Sweden in 1838. It is octavo, and the initial signature statement is "pi1 1-2^8 chi1 3^8."  However, the last gathering, 4, is only a partial gathering containing 3 leaves and the signature (first leaf only) is 4 3/8, where 3/8 is written as a vertical fraction. I realize that this is essentially saying something along the lines of "3 of 8 leaves" or some such, but how should I note it?

Should I record the signature as 4 3/8, or just 4 with a note? And how would I record the actual leaves for this gathering? Octavo's in 8's have been unusual for this collection, and I usually would have something in 4's so will often have statements such as E^4 (-E4).

Thank you all in advance!

Jason

-----
Jason LeMay
Assistant Law Librarian for Cataloging and Metadata
Emory University School of Law | Hugh F. MacMillan Law Library
1301 Clifton Road, Atlanta, GA 30322| 404-727-0850
jason.lemay at emory.edu<mailto:jason.lemay at emory.edu>
-----