[DCRM-L] Fake morocco binding?

Ted P Gemberling tgemberl at uab.edu
Thu Jan 22 09:05:07 MST 2015

I notice that a book I'm cataloging has a price list on the title page: "In cloth, $1.25; paper covers, $1.00; morocco gilt, $2.00."

It's a popular medical book from 1866. I'm almost sure my copy is not morocco leather, though it is covered in a kind of material that has a slightly rough texture and gilt stamps. It looks like some kind of paper.

The book is "Dr. Chase's recipes, or, Information for everybody," published: Ann Arbor, Michigan : Published by the author.

I didn't notice any ACRL RBMS heading for fake bindings. Does anyone have a recommendation about this? I think it would be interesting to note that it appears to be fake.

Some coworkers just suggested that maybe the term "morocco gilt" doesn't necessarily mean the book is leather. Maybe it's just a style of ornamentation. If it were really morocco leather, you'd expect the price differential to be higher.

Ted P. Gemberling
Historical Collections Cataloger
UAB Lister Hill Library, rm. 234B
1720 Second Ave. South