[DCRM-L] Barton, Vegetable materia medica

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Wed Jun 24 07:27:10 MDT 2015

[DRCM: Follow-up to a previous posting, by way of correspondence with
Philip Weimerskirch. Another blessed learning experience ...]

Shortly after I sent my message to you, a fellow cataloguer told me, via
the DCRM list, that I should look at Stafleu & Cowan, and behold, this
wasn't such a radical discovery as all that, though I did figure out how
the 1825 2nd ed. came about. I re-revised the records to tell that story
properly (and a bit more succinctly).

That's the problem with my kind of work--I find that the OCLC WorldCat is
full of confusion, and instead of undertaking a reference search I jump
directly into revision of records, close inspection of copies actual and
digital, etc., and reinvent a wheel or two in the process. Stafleu didn't
have it *exactly *right about the 2nd ed., but it does state simply that
only v.1 was involved--which could only be inferred from patterns dug out
of the chaos in OCLC--and suggests something about it that would have
focused my own work much more efficiently, especially as regards the
obvious bibliographical evidence that, as he himself said at the outset of
v.2, Barton had greatly underestimated his market. Stafleu also gives us
the schedule of part issues (from NYBG copy in parts), which establishes
the perfect framework for the whole story.

The *real* problem is that none of that information had found its way into
any easily accessible library record--the OCLC master records were simply
misleading, though I did get good clues from local records of a kind that
will soon not be available in the WorldCat (so much for the "World"
part)--which means building systematic searching of individual catalogs
into one's process.

Ah, 'tis always thus--"By indirections, find directions out."

Cheers - Richard

BROWN UNIVERSITY  ::  PROVIDENCE, R.I. 02912  ::  401-863-1187
<Richard_Noble at Br <RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU>own.edu>