[DCRM-L] "Slips for Librarians to paste on Catalogue Cards"

Will Evans evans at bostonathenaeum.org
Thu Mar 5 14:11:30 MST 2015

I can re-confirm the lack of these slips in the Boston Athenaeum’s
half-height card catalogue, which I think is really surprising. What we
call our Cutter card catalogue, which we kept as an historical reference,
was started by C.A. Cutter and his assistants in the early 1870’s. We have
documentation in our archives stating that after ten years of writing out
the cards (in lovely 19th century penmanship) they realized that less than
10% of the collection was represented on the cards. To expedite matters
they started cutting up the old catalogues they had published in book form
and pasted those entries on to the cards. I would have thought they would
have availed themselves of Holt’s slips, but again, they are not to be
found.

Best,

Will

Will Evans