[DCRM-L] OCLC's IR webinar (May 13)

Jennifer MacDonald jsmacdon at udel.edu
Fri May 15 08:18:06 MDT 2015

Dear colleagues,

I have been silent on all of this, but I guess it's time to chime in.
University of Delaware became the first "major" institution to adopt
WorldShare Management Services, and we migrated last summer.

WMS (which goes by many derogatory nicknames here, like WMD) is the way
OCLC takes over your ILS. Circulation, reserves, cataloging,
acquisitions, everything.  Not to put too fine a point on it, hearing
talk about going to check an institution's local catalog makes me
cringe, because WE NO LONGER HAVE A LOCAL CATALOG. We have OCLC records
with extra things dangling from them. Whenever I explain it to someone
outside of our library, they ask if I'm looking for another job (I'm
not). The library spent about 18 months working with OCLC on the system,
then another 12 months when it became clear that they wouldn't be ready
for the go live date, and there is still continual communication and
activity between UD and OCLC.

When I search for a record in the metadata module of WMS, it takes me to
the master record, the Local Bib Data (if there is one), and the Local
Holdings Record (if there is one). Local notes go into the LBD (natch,
but you never know with these things). Because I've been in denial for
the past year, I haven't checked what our records look like on the other
end, but I figured now was the time, and I have had a friend at a
different institution take a look. _It is, in fact, possible for others
to see the LBD_. When the holdings come up in WorldCat.org (I don't know
about FirstSearch, I didn't check that yet), if you click on the holding
library's name, the notes come up under the "Details" section. This
isn't a very exciting record (the book happened to be on my desk because
one of the copies dropped out in the migration, which is a story for
another day), but if you want to take a look, this is the record she
checked:
http://www.worldcat.org/title/entailed-hat-or-patty-cannons-times-a-romance/oclc/1875667&referer=brief_results

Believe me, I'm not a fan of WMS, but at least for now, I know people
can see our local data. Or at least she could ...

Jennifer MacDonald

--
Jennifer MacDonald
Associate Librarian and Coordinator,