[DCRM-L] Placeholder response from OCLC re copy-specific data in WorldCat master records

Goojer, F.H. de (Frits) F.H.deGoojer at uu.nl
Fri Jan 8 06:47:06 MST 2016

Dear Mrs. Dooley,

Utrecht University Library, Netherlands, will start cataloging its collections in Worldcat by means of Record Manager within a few months.
Regarding copy-specific data our main concern is the issue of “persons or corporate bodies associated with an item”, e.g. former owners or annotators.
The problem we are confronted with is that fields 700 and 710 are not available in Local Holding Record (LHR).

The special cataloging guidelines (3.8 Copy- or Institution-Specific Notes and Added Entries) give examples of 700- en 710-field for copy-specific data:

700 1 0 Jefferson Thomas, ‡d 1743-1826 ‡e former owner. ‡5 NbDU-F
710 2 0 Grafschaft (Monastery), ‡e former owner. ‡5 NbDU-F

But where to record them, if it is impossible to record them in LHR?

If  700- and 710-fields were included in LHR, an enormous problem would be solved.

Best wishes,

Frits de Goojer
Cataloger of manuscripts and early printed books