[DCRM-L] Royal coat of arms reference

Thu Jul 28 10:19:58 MDT 2016

Great question, Kaelin (newly sleek graduate of the RBC class of 2016). Since no one else has jumped in, I will.

What is the nature of the resource?

If it is a reference source with images and descriptions of images without formal descriptions of publications that carry them (such as McKerrow's Printers & publishers' devices in England & Scotland, 1485-1640, MBAt call number + Z236.G7 M2), then it is not appropriate for a 510, but instead as a full citation within another kind of note.

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S. | Senior Cataloger, Folger Shakespeare Library | djleslie at folger.edu | 202.675-0369 | 201 East Capitol St., SE, Washington, DC 20003 | www. folger.edu | orcid.org/0000-0001-5848-5467

From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Kaelin Rasmussen
Sent: Thursday, 28 July 2016 09:24
To: DCRM Users' Group
Subject: [DCRM-L] Royal coat of arms reference

Hello all:
I am cataloging a volume of Massachusetts session laws from 1742 to 1750.  Each law is preceded by a royal coat of arms, and I have sometimes seen these referenced in OCLC with the brief parenthetical (Reilly xxx) in a 500.  Being new to early Massachusetts imprints, I had some trouble identifying this as Elizabeth Carroll Reilly's A dictionary of colonial American printers' ornaments and illustrations (OCLC #1938833).

In keeping with the spirit of expanding references in the Standard Citation Forms, would it be better to expand the parenthetical to something like: (Reilly, E.C. A dictionary of colonial American printers' ornaments and illustrations)? Or would this reference be suited to its own 510?
Thanks,
Kaelin Rasmussen

--
Kaelin Rasmussen