[DCRM-L] double plates vs. folded plate

Mon Jun 6 10:59:57 MDT 2016

Will, can you give us images, to make sure we're all on the same page regarding terminology?

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S. | Senior Cataloger, Folger Shakespeare Library | djleslie at folger.edu | 202.675-0369 | 201 East Capitol St., SE, Washington, DC 20003 | www. folger.edu | orcid.org/0000-0001-5848-5467

From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Will Evans
Sent: Monday, 06 June 2016 12:50
To: dcrm-l at lib.byu.edu
Subject: [DCRM-L] double plates vs. folded plate

Sorry to resurrect this thread. I tried piecing to together some understanding of these concepts from the DCRM archives, but I want to be sure I’ve arrived at the correct conclusion.

If I have an unnumbered double plate (one image covering the entire side of a sheet of which its verso is blank) bound down the center of the plate, attached to a stub in the binding counts as:
[2] leaves of plates

But if an unnumbered folded plate (one image covering the entire side of a sheet of which its verso is blank) is bound-in on one of its edges it is counted as:
[1] folded leaf of plates

I this correct?

Thanks in advance.

Will

Will Evans
National Endowment for the Humanities
Chief Librarian in Charge of Technical Services
Library of the Boston Athenaeum
10 1/2 Beacon Street
Boston, MA   02108

Tel:  617-227-0270 ext. 243