[DCRM-L] "Bookseller" as Relator Term

David Stumpp david.stumpp at chch.ox.ac.uk
Wed May 11 06:50:19 MDT 2016

Hi Richard,

Here’s my two cents.

Before chiming in, I decided to double check the RBMS definitions at Jane’s link and was happy to learn that they pretty well reflected my usage. I’ve long applied this logic with early printed materials: Generally speaking, if the publication statement has “printed for”, I use the relator “publisher”. It’s most convenient, of course, when an imprint divulges that a work was printed at someone’s expense. I only use the relator “bookseller” in situations where the statement actually specifies in some way that named individual sold the book. Some booksellers were certainly publishers, as well, but not universally, I think, and this seemed the safest way to use the terms accurately.

Best wishes,
Dave

David Stumpp
Antiquarian Cataloguer