[DCRM-L] capturing recent prices in digital scans: yes or no?

Schneider, Nina nschneider at humnet.ucla.edu
Wed May 11 17:25:21 MDT 2016

Hi all,

I thought I would ask the opinion of this group since we have begun to encounter a sticky widget as we move forward digitizing our collections...

Is there a general consensus  of whether or not, when photographing/scanning a volume (from front to back, including blanks), to keep (i.e. not redact) the price that the former owner paid for a book? Perhaps older prices aren’t too controversial, but what if someone paid a significant amount -- and that price was written on an endpaper or printed on a bookseller’s description that is adhered to an endpaper – and then donated the book? Or, if a book has been sold at a recent auction and then re-sold to a library for a bit more, what then?

I don’t see anything that would help in the RBMS guidelines and standards, so I’m just wondering if there’s a common practice of full disclosure or silent omission. I realize the answers depend on a number of factors (type of institution, deed of gift, etc.), but hoping for some guidance.

Thank you!

Nina

Nina M. Schneider
Rare Books Librarian
William Andrews Clark Memorial Library
2520 Cimarron Street
Los Angeles, CA  90018
(323) 731-8529

nschneider at humnet.ucla.edu
http://www.clarklibrary.ucla.edu/

** Please note that the Clark Library is currently CLOSED for our seismic retrofit **