[DCRM-L] Transcription of "VV" in engraved text: DCRM(B/G) and RBMS PS

Matthew C. Haugen matthew.haugen at columbia.edu
Tue Dec 19 15:39:19 MST 2017

It would seem that approximation of less common letters using available
letterforms (v+v or r+v as w, l+r as k etc.) is a phenomenon particular to
letterpress, and I think it makes sense to no longer treat v + v as an
exception to transcribing the intended letter.

Here is one example of "V V" in manuscript that's intended as a W,
specifically in imitation of the same in print. It is a manuscript
replacement title page for the VVhole Booke of Psalmes (1640 Bay Psalm
Book, in the Library of Congress collection):
https://www.loc.gov/resource/rbc0001.2008amimp02405/?sp=4T

I suppose it is possible that an engraver, woodcutter, lithographer, etc.
would similarly imitate letterpress conventions for stylistic reasons, much
like both letterpress and engravings have imitated manuscript conventions,
and probably this might show up in facsimiles of letterpress produced by
other methods, but I'm not able to find any examples readily.

My hunch would be for the PS to have the same transcription outcome (i.e.
the intended letter) regardless of format and whether it's letterpress or
in imitation thereof, though this seems mostly hypothetical given the lack
of examples, and I don't really work with graphics, so I don't have strong
opinions.

Matt

Matthew C. Haugen
Rare Book Cataloger