[DCRM-L] RDA or DCRM(B)? abbreviations, brackets, and errors

Lapka, Francis francis.lapka at yale.edu
Mon Jul 3 11:26:53 MDT 2017

Joan,

Welcome to the list. As you’ve discovered already, the BIBCO Standard Record<https://www.loc.gov/aba/pcc/bibco/documents/PCC-RDA-BSR.pdf> provides guidance on cataloging with RDA and DCRM(B). To your good questions:

1.       “ … shouldn’t I be using ‘p.’ and ‘ill.’?

-          FL: Terms to record extent (pages, leaves of plates, etc.) and illustrative content are not transcribed, so we don’t apply RDA 1.7.2-1.7.9. For these elements, we employ standard RDA terminology – avoiding abbreviations.

2.      “Similarly, do people use "[12] p." or “12 unnumbered pages”? DCRM(B) 5B3.1 and RDA 3.4.5.3.”

-          FL: Applying the BSR with rare materials, we record: [12] pages.  The conventions for recording unnumbered pages (square brackets!) follow DCRM, while the terms for “pages” etc. are those used in RDA.  See page 12 of the BSR.

3.      “Errors in titles, for example. DCRM(B) 0G7, 5B7.2, etc., say to use [i.e. …] or [sic]. RDA says transcribe as is, adding an access point for the version with the error (2.3.14).”

-          FL: RDA provides guidance for inaccuracies in 1.7.9, which is among the set of rules superseded by DCRM when applying the BSR for rare materials. Thus, apply DCRM(B) 0G7, etc.

Of course, it remains perfectly legitimate to continue to catalog according to DCRM(B) and AACR2 for descriptive cataloging, using RDA guidelines for access points. See: http://rbms.info/dcrm/rda/.

The RDA-compatible successor to DCRM (RBMS Policy Statements) is coming soon. Community review will begin this fall.

I welcome other questions, on or off list.

Best,
Francis

Francis Lapka  ·  Catalog Librarian
Dept. of Rare Books and Manuscripts