[DCRM-L] 12mo vs. 16mo

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Tue Mar 21 12:43:31 MDT 2017

It would be unusual to see a 12mo entirely in 8s.  They're printed as 12s
(whole sheets consisting of an 8-leaf with a 4-leaf offcut unit quired in),
8-and-4s (the same two units alternating, mostly French), or 6s (usually
work-and-turn, each gathering consisting of  a 4- leaf and a 2-leaf unit).
In 8s you'd end up with a complicated arrangement involving two sheets to
make three gatherings, one of which would consist of a 4-leaf from one
sheet quired into the 4-leaf from the other.

What is the time and place of your edition?

BROWN UNIVERSITY  ::  PROVIDENCE, R.I. 02912  ::  401-863-1187
<Richard_Noble at Br <RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU>own.edu>