[DCRM-L] Item-level ephemera: What's the 245$a for this film program?

Alice Hanes ahanes at Hagley.org
Tue Dec 4 14:35:49 MST 2018

Greetings,

With ephemeral items such as programs, we typically transcribe as title proper the “opening words” of the text we find on the item, clarifying with a subtitle supplied in square brackets along with any explanatory notes.

Here is an example from a live performance:
245 04 |a The Catherine du Pont matinees :|b [program].
500 __ |a Cover title.
500 __ |a Selections from Tagore with interpretative dances by Grace Cristie (Noyes dancer) performed on Tuesday afternoon, Feb. 18, 1919; Noh dances and lyric dramas of Japan presented by Catherine du Pont, supported by Harmon MacGregor, on Sunday evening, Feb. 23, 1919.
655_7 |a Dance programs. |2 lcgft

Yes, I usually “start at the top left and work my way down” and thus for your Midsummer Night item I would probably go with Option 1 and enter the alternatives as 246 30’s, “portion of title.”  Let the resource speak for itself.  That said, I do make exceptions.  When guided by typography, I may relegate the first words to a 246 1_ |i At head of title: |a.  I also sympathize with Francis and aim simply to be ever more helpful to our researchers.

I am truly grateful for the insight shared in this discussion.  Going forward, I feel better informed on differentiating ephemeral work from the full resource.  I look forward to my next opportunity to try to make a cagey resource discoverable through appropriate access points.  Thanks!

Alice H. Hanes
Technical Services Librarian
Hagley Museum and Library
298 Buck Road East